[Gnash-dev] AVM2/AS3 status, SWF10 movies, etc

From: John Gilmore
Subject: [Gnash-dev] AVM2/AS3 status, SWF10 movies, etc
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 12:46:30 -0700

We have a week remaining in the month.  Lots of infrastructures have
been shifted in better directions.  Can we get a status report?

Last time I knew, we weren't able to do some very basic things in the
SWF10 player.  Which of those are fixed, which still need work?

Is there anything we can do to push this work toward solving a
specific problem, such as getting the default YouTube player to run
again?  Having a user problem to solve -- an endpoint -- sometimes
helps to focus a project toward what's attainable.

Benjamin said in mid-August:
> Indeed, it's rather important for us work out what on earth typeof()
> means for haxe, instead of relying on whatever black magic (or more
> likely just plain typeof or instanceof opcodes) haxe uses. Inheritance
> is one of the things Gnash is poor at, in both AVM1 and AVM2, because of
> the way objects are implemented using C++ subclasses.
>
> It's also the central reason why not much apart from tracing works in
> AS3: because the main timeline is a subclass of MovieClip or Sprite,
> which Gnash simply can't instantiate with the present code. I hope to
> get this sorted out in the process of fixing prototypes and object
> instantiation in the next couple of weeks.

It would be great if we could get enough of the core of AVM2 working
that more volunteers could start contributing by writing or running
tests, and/or fixing the small stuff around the edges.

E.g. Torsten Schlabach said in early July:
> I would also be very much interested in helping out a bit when it comes
> to finding the problems and possibly contributing some coding. My
> problem is just, I am lacking a start point.
> I think it will be easier to find contributors if contributing would be
> a bit easier.

        John