Re: [Gnash-dev] openstreetmap and potlatch, potlatch2

From: strk
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] openstreetmap and potlatch, potlatch2
Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 13:47:08 +0200

On Tue, May 04, 2010 at 11:59:34AM +0200, address@hidden wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am working on compiling a list of projects for the FLOSS team in
> openstreetmap,
> we are identifying issues where the freedom of the user might be
> infringed by some software.
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_FLOSS
>
> I have gotten the latest trunk version of gnash built and installed. I
> was able to do basic edits with gnash, so good job guys. Here is a
> list of smaller issues I found, if you want I can file bug reports.
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_FLOSS/PotlatchGnash

Bug files would be good, thanks.

> Another issue is potlatch2 which is written in as3 :
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_FLOSS#Potlatch2
>
> I would like some advice on how to proceed, and maybe some help with the wiki,
> I don't want to offend anyone in the potlatch team, the tool is very
> nice, but it would be nice to find a path so that we can use these
> tools without having to install adobe flash.

The best path (imho) is to keep improving potlatch1 and leave as3 alone.
For example the potlatch1 client could be made easier on system memory
by reducing the number of temporary AS objects constructed from primitive
strings on every method call and property fetching.