Re: [Gnash-dev] Stable branch of Gnash

From: John Gilmore
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Stable branch of Gnash
Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 17:51:49 -0700

> > Rob doesn't get it now any more than he ever has.
>   Well, I could same the same thing, you just don't get it either...

Let me add to the chorus.  I don't get it either.
I've never been deep into the technical depths of Gnash or Flash.

But it looks to me like a technical issue (different people are
getting different results from running the test suite) has blown
up into a big emotional issue.

I have sympathy for both sides.  When I maintained GDB, I reverted a
medium sized C++-related contribution from Per Bothner because he
checked it in and then split on vacation, and it broke various other
things.  It caused Per some bad feelings, and he never did revise it
to both accomplish his goals AND to not break the rest of GDB.

And yet gnash has so little hacker time spent on it these days, that
I hate to throw away any contribution.

My preference for an outcome here would be:

  *  We figure out why Rob's pre-checkin test runs are not showing
     things that Benjamin's post-checkin test runs make obvious.
  *  We keep the tree compiling and passing its test suite almost
     every day.
  *  If we have really made youtube usable with the hacks and kludges
     about plugin reporting of version numbers, etc, then I hope we
     can cut a release sometime soon, so the distros can pick it up as
     an update and make gnash usable for the most popular video site.

We need each other, guys.

        John