Re: [Gnash-dev] Libmedia Redesign

From: strk
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Libmedia Redesign
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 20:28:20 +0100

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 12:13:55PM -0700, Patrick Mitchell wrote:
> Hey everybody,
>
> I'm new to the project, working with 3 other University of Colorado students
> as something-like interns; I'm trying to fix up the webcam/microphone input
> functionality, but I'm not sure where to start; I also know that some of you
> want the libmedia libraries redesigned, so I'd like to hear any input you
> have for how to change that section around. I'm still pretty thoroughly a
> noob, so I apologize in advance for all the mistakes I'm going to make.

Hi Patrick.
Dunno who wants libmedia redesigned, sounds new to me as I think
libmedia is one of the few places in good shape :)
But surely you'll want to _add_ new interfaces to it, in particular
video/audio _encoders_ whereas MediaHandler currently has only
interfaces for _decoders_.

As per input itself, I think it shouldn't be done by libmedia similarly
to how actual sound output is handled by libsound, not libmedia, and video
output is handled by renderer, not libmedia.

So, to recap, how to deal with microphone and camera (inputs) is to
be designed. For a start, should core _pull_ data from mic/cam or
should hosting application _push_ data in ? As much as we'd all love
things to be predictable a _push_ model would to be preferred to me.
But I'm happy to hear others opinions.

Please take a look at doc/DESIGN (small drawing) for some high level
view.