Re: [Gnash-dev] PledgeBank-AVM2-plans

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] PledgeBank-AVM2-plans
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2010 08:05:25 -0700

On 12/11/10 07:46, dww wrote:

> It appears that 13 of the 16 people who pledged have actually paid so
> far.

  As far as I can tell the full amount has been raised, that is $1400,
which was the original number. At least that's based on $100 donations
to my paypal account, most people only donate $10.

> Have any "plans" been generated on how to use that money?

  This fund raising wasn't really planned. Me, I woke up one morning to
find somebody had started this pledge, and we had raised a chunk of the
goal.

> Plan to research the existing AVM2 free implementations?
> Plan to develop from scratch from the AVM2 specs?
> Plan to obtain more funding?

  Just as a note, this money won't be spent on anything but what was
intended, ie it won't be used to pay for anything but avm2 work. Here's
the problem, I already dropped over $50k on two people, both of whom
failed to deliver with many months of work, So $1400 won't get very far
in comparison. That's not much money for something that could be a
long-term task.

  So my thought (if the pledge fund raiser agrees) was this would cover
the several weeks to a month required to serious research avm2 options.
This would involve actually trying LightSpark, Tamarin, VP8, with Gnash
etc... Having done some of this already, I'm leaning towards Tamarin, in
spite of it's known performance problems. Deep down though, I do wish we
would write our own avm2 VM from scratch. if Lightspark could do it in a
few months using the Adobe specs, somebody could do that for Gnash too.

  What I've done is add a http://wiki.gnashdev.org/List_of_Tasks to the
wiki, with a few tasks looking for funding, including the note this task
is funded, but is looking for a developer. My hope is the other Gnash
developers can list anything they would like to raise funding for, I
listed a few things.

  So I think the task at this point is to find a developer, either an
existing one or a new one to do this research task.