Re: [Gnash-dev] Reuse of Gnash code in Lightspark

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Reuse of Gnash code in Lightspark
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 10:25:40 -0700

On 12/18/10 10:19, Timon Van Overveldt wrote:

> Having Gnash's implementation as a reference has been very helpful in
> understanding how to implement this functionality.

  The wonders of free software. :-)

> Now I was wondering about the following:
> Lightspark is licensed under the LGPL3, while Gnash is licensed under GPL3.
> Are you guys ok with me licensing my implementation under LGPL3?
> Am I breaching the terms of the license by doing this?
> If I am, please note that this is not on purpose and that I will try to
> resolve the situation immediately.

  Well, Gnash is also a GNU project, so the copyright for the External
Interface code is owned by the FSF. I believe you'd need to ask RMS or
Eben for a real opinion. The decision isn't really up to the Gnash team,
or even myself, who wrote the External Interface code, because of this.
Because Gnash is not a library, the GPLv3 has been fine.