Re: [Gnash-dev] Gnash 0.8.9 status

From: Sandro Santilli
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Gnash 0.8.9 status
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 09:18:14 +0100

On Fri, Mar 04, 2011 at 02:57:51AM +0100, address@hidden wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Mar 02, 2011 at 08:01:44PM +0100, Benjamin Wolsey wrote:
>
> > In the last two weeks we've closed 29 bugs (at time of writing), 14 of
> > them serious enough to be considered release blockers: that is bugs
> > that cause an abort, a segfault, or an illegal memory access.
>
> I don't think that should be the (sole) criterion for release
> blockers... A functionality bug that affects a lot of users is more
> critical IMHO than an rare crasher.

It isn't the sole criterion.
If there's a release goal, that goal blocks a release too.

This latest release though, didn't have any goal.
See http://wiki.gnashdev.org/Releases and compare 0.8.8
(or previous) with 0.8.9.

The main reason why I'm happy to have a 0.8.9 coming out is that
0.8.8 had a couple of regressions over 0.8.7, making it unpleasant
to play winterbells [1] :>

[1] http://strk.keybit.net/blog/2010/09/24/hack-fever/

Seriously, this new release I see more as an improved-stability one
than anything else, so if there are functionality bugs that affects
lot of users BUT are not regressions and DO NOT CRASH my browser,
I've no problem with it waiting until someone finds the
time / sponsorship to take care of.

Nothing prevents us to ship a 0.8.10 in a few months if we handle
to fix something else.

In any case, it's useful if you state your opinion about which bug
should be raised in severity directly onto the bug tracker.

I see a 14 open bugs going with severity Important and 2 from
Blocker up. So, is your candidate blocker in the Important set
already ?

Me, for instance, I see #31366 could be a blocker, as it sounds like
a regression [2]

[2] https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/index.php?31366