[Gnash-dev] Importing repos (was: Gnash 0.8.9 - time for next RC)

From: olafBuddenhagen
Subject: [Gnash-dev] Importing repos (was: Gnash 0.8.9 - time for next RC)
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 05:10:33 +0100

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 11:31:48AM -0600, Rob Savoye wrote:
> On 03/15/11 11:27, Sandro Santilli wrote:

> > You can't take slices of trees with git, so no way w/out getting the
> > whole swfdec. There's no much history in there to save, nor much sources
>
>   Actually that part was was, as git has a filter-branch command. So I
> managed to trim swfdec way down to just the tests.
[...]
>   The bigger problem was git only wants to import it with the revision
> history into the top level, and it also expects the file names to all
> match. So I haven't yet seen a way to import into a subdirectory.

Not sure what you mean by "import" here... The obvious way is just to
fetch the remote repository into a branch, and merge it the usual way.
Perhaps that's what you mean.

Anyways, as you are doing filter-branch anyways, it should be pretty
easy to rewrite the paths while at it?

(I can think of more sophisticated ways, not using filter-branch at all,
and thus preserving the original commit IDs -- but for a one-time import
of a dead code base that's probably not useful...)

-antrik-