Re: [Gnash-dev] Removal candidates

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Removal candidates
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 14:35:46 -0600

On 03/18/2011 02:24 PM, Sandro Santilli wrote:

> I think the GUI subsystem needs a pretty wide refactoring, to
> do things like start up a gui w/out a movie and allow file->open.

  As I said, we need to stop refactoring existing code endlessly, and
work on adding new code for both AVM2, and other things Gnash currently
doesn't support. While refactoring is nice, it's like spinning ones
tires in the mud, ie... we don't more forward... Unless Gnash moves
forward, we're a dying project in my opinion.

  AVM2 is way more important than any refactoring of existing internal
APIs. Now refactoring to support AVM2, that would be fine. With the
limited resources we have, refactoring just for the hell of it is a
waste of time.

> It's still a big set, but at least might scare a bit less.

  Real hackers aren't scared of code size (nor complexity) :-) You think
Gnash is bad, you would have hated working on GCC...