Re: [Gnash-dev] GNASH participation in GSOC 2011 under the GNU umbrela?

From: Robinson Tryon
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] GNASH participation in GSOC 2011 under the GNU umbrela?
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 20:54:20 -0400

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 8:06 PM, diptorup <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi -
>
> This might be too late in the day, but any chance Gnash can participate
> in Google Summer Of Code under the GNU flagship?
>
> Dipto

According to the schedule here:

http://www.google-melange.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2011/timeline

The GSOC 2011 has accepted organizations (including GNU), and is in this phase:
phase of "March 18-27: Would-be student participants discuss
application ideas with mentoring organizations."

GNU's page about the process is here:
http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/program/accepted_orgs/google/gsoc2011

Gnash isn't listed under the set of "Tags", nor on the GNU project page here:
http://www.gnu.org/software/soc-projects/ideas-2011.html

However Rodrigo Rodrigues da Silva mentions here that there is (was)
an internal GNU deadline of March 11th:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/summer-of-code/2011-03/msg00002.html

"All GNU packages interested in participating must provide a list of
ideas for student projects before *March 10, 2011 at 23:00 UTC*.

That doesn't strictly mean that a package can't join the list after that
deadline, but we do need a good ideas list in order to be approved as a
mentoring organization in the first place."

If someone's interested in applying for a project, I'd hop on IRC,
find a Gnash core dev to agree to be a mentor, and approach da Silva.

Because we're so late in the process the chances seem slim. But it
doesn't hurt to go for it if you would really like to spend time
improving Gnash.

Best,
--R