Re: [Gnash-dev] OpenVG support coming

From: olafBuddenhagen
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] OpenVG support coming
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 15:55:27 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 06:50:36AM -0600, Rob Savoye wrote:
> On 03/23/11 03:24, Sandro Santilli wrote:

> > Problem is that when you're a working in a team, your "in steps"
> > work gets in the way of others, which are forced to deal with issues
> > that prevent them from properly testing/debugging their own code.
>
> The way I work has never gotten in anyone's way in the 34yrs I've been
> writing code. Most hacker's I've worked with follow the same style I
> use.

This is a reasonable approach when everyone works together on the same
thing; and it's perfectly fine to apply it on an in-progress feature
branch. However, it's not the right style when things actually go to
master branch, were people work on unrelated stuff independently.

I'm sorry to say, just because you somehow managed for 34 years to
produce useful software that way, doesn't mean it's a good way of
working... I personally watched X.Org transitioning from "everyone
commits stuff as he feels like" to "features are worked on, reviewed,
and finally merged in consistent units" -- and I can vouch for the
enormous improvements both in reducing conflicts and frustration during
development, and in improving the quality of the result.

If you insist on sticking to your favourite style, I fear you will have
to recruit other Gnash developers from among your 34 year buddies --
because it's pretty obvious that among the current developers, everyone
but you prefers a different style.

-antrik-