[Gnash-dev] Pango thread-safety/workaround?

From: Matthias Gehre
Subject: [Gnash-dev] Pango thread-safety/workaround?
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 13:12:49 -0500

Hello everybody,

I have a question regarding thread-safe us of pango in gnash.
As one of the developers of pango has confirmed, pango
cannot be used safely from different threads and they have no plans
to fix that.
(See http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-i18n-list/2011-May/msg00015.html)

But as the browser, for example firefox, may already use pango
for its own text drawing, how do you make sure that
gnash does not use pango at the same time?

I know that browsers start to use process separation, and that the problem does
not exist there, but this is only supported recently and can also be
turned off by the user.

Thank you!

Best regard,
Matthias Gehre