Re: [Gnash-dev] one day AVM2? who knows

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] one day AVM2? who knows
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 07:31:19 -0600

On 09/18/11 10:52, Gabriele Giacone wrote:

> given seems no one is willing to start writing (once again) an AVM2
> implementation and there's been a pledge [0] for that, I propose to use
> such money to fund ...(drum roll)... Gnash-LightSpark integration.

  So some time ago I spent some time analyzing AVM2 options, including
Lightspark. The post should be in the archives for this mailing list.
The short summary is Lightspark is not suitable, as it's a plugin only,
and not a library. The Lightspark team had no interest in making the
types of changes we'd need. Other issues are it's OpenGL only, uses
LLVM, etc... To use Lightspark we'd have to write an NPAPI wrapper for
Gnash to "plugin" Lightspark.

  Probably the best option is to use Tamarin, which is the AVM2 VM Adobe
wrote, and donated  to Mozilla. It's not the highest performance option,
and doesn't have most of the AS3 libraries, but could work. If anyone is
actually interested in this, I can dig around for my original notes.