Re: [Gnash-dev] 8.9.10 in time for ubuntu 11.10 ?

From: Sandro Santilli
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] 8.9.10 in time for ubuntu 11.10 ?
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 16:38:35 +0200

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 08:22:47AM -0600, Rob Savoye wrote:
> On 09/29/11 03:55, Sandro Santilli wrote:
>
> > In moving forward toward a release, do we all agree about calling
> > feature freeze now ? I'd like to get an agreement on this and an
> > official statement afterwards.
>
>   Considering the Ubuntu Final freeze starts today, I don't really think
> there is time to do a proper release. The Oneiric release candidate
> comes out in only a week as well. There are two ways of looking at
> releases. One is stabilize what we got and release that quickly, or aim
> for higher quality. Whenever a Gnash release comes out it'd be in an
> Ubuntu update anyway.

Ok, no rush-for-ubuntu then.

>   I personally don't think Gnash is ready for a fast release right now.

Me neither.

> For one thing, I'm about to go out of town today for a week, and will be
> totally offline. So I wouldn't even be able to start working on a
> release till I get back. There are some bugs that should probably be
> fixed before a release, like for YouTube the video is often the wrong size.

You can't pretend old bugs are fixed if nobody has time to do it.
Unless the YouTube video size is a regression...

Just releasing the improvements produced so far would be good.
For example, there's support for the new ffmpeg (which lacks an entry
in the NEWS file, btw). But the NEWS file itself contains many improvements
since last release:

 * Qt4 GUI supports mouse wheel, clipboard, and screen resolution.
 * Enhanced UI support for script limits (abort popups, user prefs).
 * BitmapData functions copyPixels(), copyChannel(), perlinNoise() and noise()
   implemented.
 * Node id mapping in ActionScript XML class implemented (XML.idMap).
 * Fix dispatching of Sound.onLoad event, fixing google dict audio.
 * Fix support for control tags found after last expected frame (#33176).
 * Fix support for uncompressed sound with gstreamer media handler.
 * Implement Button.getDepth(), fix button key events.
 * Fixes to startDrag and stopDrag opcodes.
 * Implement onSoundComplete() for event sounds (#23020).
 * Fix MovieClip.onLoad event dispatching and constant pools handling, fixing
   support for movies generated by the evil Adobe Captivate tool (#33521).
 * Fix unattached Sound.stop() semantic (#33888) enjoy Super Mario!

>   The other thing is deb & rpm snapshots from master are still available
> from our repository, so anyone wanting a very recent Gnash can install
> from there.

Those ones have no QA effort on them (unfortunately).

> So anyway, we could potentially call a feature freeze, but
> we'd need to make progress on several things to do an actual release. A
> feature freeze is kindof silly, as nobody is adding new features anyway,
> just bug fixes.

I was considering co-sponsoring development of a gnome thumbnailer,
one day.