Re: [Gnash-dev] DRM with Flash movie

From: Jonas 'Sortie' Termansen
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] DRM with Flash movie
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2011 17:31:58 +0200

On 10/05/2011 05:01 PM, Mark S. Townsley wrote:
and it said "Other licenses" are possible including LGPL. I understand that LGPL allows non-open source items to be "linked" with "open source" project such as GNash.
Is this possible?
I doubt it. If I understand everything correctly: Due to the nature of extensions - that they are deeply involved in the main application - combining an extension with Gnash, would require it to be released under the terms of the GNU GPL. Distributing the extension under any other license would either require 1) the interface used to communicate with Gnash is abstract/generic such that another application can implement it 2) Gnash is released with an exception granting this permission (which it doesn't, AFAIK).

Gnash is distributed under the GNU GPL (Version 3 or later) by the way, not the GNU LGPL.

If unsure, I recommend reading the licenses (available online) themselves, and consulting a copyright lawyer.

If you wish to make your DRM code proprietary, implement it in the action script itself. This is possible because the license of the virtual machine (Gnash) is unrelated to the software running under it. Just like a literary work produced in LibreOffice isn't covered by LibreOffice's license.

Oh, and of course: http://www.defectivebydesign.org/ | The campaign to eliminate DRM.

Jonas