gnokii --getsms doubt AND persistent connections

From: Miguel Manso
Subject: gnokii --getsms doubt AND persistent connections
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 02:45:51 -0700 (PDT)

Hi there,

I've two questions for the list. Any help will be
appreciated.

1)

When reading / sending sms's, the slower part of the
process is the connection to the serial port and the
handshaking with the cell phone. Anyone thought about
some kind of persistent connection to the serial port?
Something like a program that made the connection and
stayed on waiting for commands. That way the speed
increase could be great.

2)

I was reading the help for the gnokii command and I'm
missing something on the --getsms parameter.

The syntax is:

gnokii --getsms MEM_TYPE <start> <end>

Now, lets say I'd like to retrieve all the available
messages. Is there any way to know what's the "end"
value? so that I could say: "get messages from 1 to
end" or something like that?

Thanks for the support...

=====
Miguel Manso