Re: Problems compiling all versions of gnokii (and cable question)

From: Jollino
Subject: Re: Problems compiling all versions of gnokii (and cable question)
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 09:56:50 +0100

Venerdì, 15 nov 2002, alle 01:02 Europe/Rome, Pawel Kot ha scritto:

Did you try the configure script from the package? autogen.sh regenerates
configure script.

Yes, and it just didn't find the headers anyway.

config.log can say you something more about the errors.

It seems that it misses the conftest.c file. While doing the initial checks, it can find the headers:
[...]
configure:2146: checking for limits.h
configure:2156: gcc -E  conftest.c >/dev/null 2>conftest.out
configure:2146: checking for locale.h
configure:2156: gcc -E  conftest.c >/dev/null 2>conftest.out
configure:2146: checking for nl_types.h
configure:2156: gcc -E  conftest.c >/dev/null 2>conftest.out
configure:2146: checking for malloc.h
[...]

But then something goes wrong and this is what I get:

configure:3885: checking for X11/xpm.h
configure:3895: gcc -E  -I conftest.c >/dev/null 2>conftest.out
gcc: No input files
configure: failed program was:
#line 3890 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
#include <X11/xpm.h>
configure:4057: checking for socket in -lsocket
configure:4076: gcc -o conftest -O2 -Wall -I conftest.c -lsocket 1>&5
/usr/bin/ld: cannot open -lsocket: No such file or directory
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure: failed program was:
#line 4065 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
/* Override any gcc2 internal prototype to avoid an error.  */
/* We use char because int might match the return type of a gcc2
    builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply.  */
char socket();

int main() {
socket()
; return 0; }
configure:4148: checking for grantpt
configure:4176: gcc -o conftest -O2 -Wall  -I  conftest.c  1>&5
gcc: No input files
configure: failed program was:
#line 4153 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
/* System header to define __stub macros and hopefully few prototypes,
    which can conflict with char grantpt(); below.  */
#include <assert.h>
/* Override any gcc2 internal prototype to avoid an error.  */
/* We use char because int might match the return type of a gcc2
    builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply.  */
char grantpt();

int main() {

/* The GNU C library defines this for functions which it implements
    to always fail with ENOSYS.  Some functions are actually named
    something starting with __ and the normal name is an alias.  */
#if defined (__stub_grantpt) || defined (__stub___grantpt)
choke me
#else
grantpt();
#endif

; return 0; }
configure:4259: gcc -c -O2 -Wall  -I conftest.c 1>&5
gcc: No input files
configure: failed program was:
#line 4250 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
#define _XOPEN_SOURCE 500
                 #include <sys/types.h>
                 #include <sys/socket.h>
int main() {
struct msghdr msg; msg.msg_control;
; return 0; }
configure:4273: checking for ANSI C header files
configure:4377: checking for sys/wait.h that is POSIX.1 compatible
configure:4398: gcc -c -O2 -Wall  -I conftest.c 1>&5
gcc: No input files
[...]

And so on, stating "No input files" for all the subsequent tests run by configure.

Erm, errata corrige: looks like I found out where the problem was. Something in the build system is a bit messy and it got stuck when it found only a part of the X libraries. Running configure with the --without-x option make it found all the headers it needed, without complaining about "no input files" anymore.

Going to play with my 6210 now ;)

Thanks!
--
Daniele Nicolucci (Jollino) - address@hidden