Teemu Enkerro Re: ms-dos and gnokii/sending sms

From: devidas satpute
Subject: Teemu Enkerro Re: ms-dos and gnokii/sending sms
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 11:42:40 +0000

Teemu Enkerro, i have written a small program in DOS to send and Recive SMS with the help of Gnokii.

Devidas

From: Osma Suominen <address@hidden>
To: "Discussion forum for gnokii users." <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: ms-dos and gnokii/sending sms
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 00:15:34 +0300 (EEST)

On Mon, 7 Jul 2003, Teemu Enkerro wrote:

> Hi, i am building this home surveilance system which would be based on my
> anchient 486/dos 6.22, i don´t want to install linux cause i have some
> software already running on dos in it, but i would like to attach my 6150 > nokia for sending out alert/message in form of SMS message or to have the > machine call to me. Well, the problem is that i ain´t much of a coder, and i > don´t know much about linux, so i was wondering if there´s a utily for dos > available for sending SMS (because there was some message while ago in which > somebody told he was making a C program for dos for sms message), if there´s
> not, can gnokii be compiled to dos, and how is it made?

I don't know about other DOS programs that could do this, but I'm quite
sure gnokii cannot easily be compiled for DOS. But it's been ported to
Windows with some success already so it might not be impossible to do,
if someone has lots of spare time.

How about running Linux together with dosemu. Your DOS programs could
run inside the emulator. I've once done this for a BBS system and it
worked surprisingly well - several years ago, and since then, dosemu has
gotten better (it runs real MS-DOS 6.22 inside if you want).

A 486 should be quite OK for this purpose. Just don't install/use X and
pick a lightweight Linux distribution. Perhaps one of the floppy distros
could be used, but then you probably have to compile dosemu and gnokii
on a second machine, which might be tricky if library versions (e.g.
glibc) are different enough.

Of course, if there is a DOS utility to control your phone, that could
be an easier choice, but running Linux and dosemu is certainly more
interesting ;)

-Osma

--
*** Osma Suominen *** address@hidden *** http://www.iki.fi/ozone/ ***