Re: Bad checksum & Fbus out of sync

From: BORBELY Zoltan
Subject: Re: Bad checksum & Fbus out of sync
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 23:52:52 +0100

Hi,

On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 06:02:47PM -0800, Charmaine Tian wrote:
> I've struggled with gnokii for several weeks, tried different gnokii
> versions (0.4.3, 0.5.5), different phones (nokia 6310i, 3390), different
> cables, using different linux servers, but seems not able to fix the
> following errors I've had. Am I the only one that has these problems? Any
> help will be highly appreciated.

[...]

> 1) bad checksum -- this error appears from time to time, but can still
> receive SMS though
> Message sent: 0x14 / 0x000a
> 00 01 00 0c 01 02 0f 55 55 55                   |        UUU
> [Received Ack of type 14, seq:  7]
> [Sending Ack of type 14, seq: 5]
> [Sending Ack of type 14, seq: 6]
> Bad checksum!

How often does it happen? If it's rare enough it can be some noise
(maybe a bit flipping). Otherwise it can be a cable or phone problem
(but you said you changed both of them). Is there any problem related
to it? It's just a debug message, so if you doesn't notice anything
it isn't a problem (gnokii will recover it automatically).

[...]

> 2) out of sync -- this error appears from time to time, still can receive
> SMS though
> Message sent: 0x14 / 0x000a
> 00 01 00 0c 01 02 0f 55 55 55                   |        UUU
> [Received Ack of type 14, seq:  7]
> [Sending Ack of type 14, seq: 5]
> [Sending Ack of type 14, seq: 6]
> [Sending Ack of type 14, seq: 7]
> Bad checksum!
> The fbus stream is out of sync - expected 0x00, got  2

Similar to the previous issue: it has to be quite insignificant if it's
quite rare.

[...]

> 3) receiving duplicate SMS -- 5 SMS ("message1" to "message5") coming in
> around same time and read in by SMSD sequentially, then "message4" and
> "message2" read in again, and "message2" was read in the third time. This
> error only occurs in 0.5.5, not in 0.4.3.

I'll look into it, but I want to solve the following issue first.

> 4) after a while, SMSD no longer receives SMS, repeatedly generating these
> logs:
> Getting SMS Folder (2) status (2)...
> Special case IN/OUTBOX in GetSMSFolderStatus!
> Message sent: 0x14 / 0x000a
> 00 01 00 0c 02 02 0f 55 55 55                   |        UUU
> GN_OP_GetSMSFolderStatus at line 406 in file lowlevel.c returns error 14
> Getting SMS Folder (2) status (2)...
> Special case IN/OUTBOX in GetSMSFolderStatus!
> Message sent: 0x14 / 0x000a
> 00 01 00 0c 02 02 0f 55 55 55                   |        UUU
> GN_OP_GetSMSFolderStatus at line 406 in file lowlevel.c returns error 14

It's quite ugly, it seems the statemachine part of gnokii gets confused.
Can you send us some good message exchange right before the hung?

Bye,
Bozo