Re: (OT) Looking for a linux-compatible smartphone.

From: Pawel Kot
Subject: Re: (OT) Looking for a linux-compatible smartphone.
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 14:30:14 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003, Philippe Andersson wrote:

> Hello Pawel,
>
> > Nokia 7650 works reliably with bluetooth and obex tools
> > (well I tested 3650 but 7650 should behave similiar).
> Ok. A bit confused here: how can you be sure those 2 have the same
> "core" ? The 7650 looks a lot more complex than the 3650. But then, I

>From the tests. They behaves very similiar. I have tested 3650 and asked
other people to do tests with 7650.

> was also wondering about the soon to be released 7700. This one looks
> really awsome.

Oh well. I don't think it's a phone ;-) And I don't belive it will be
stable.

> Connectivity-wise, I've seen obex mentionned on top of IR or Bluetooth.
> Can you use it on top of a serial USB connection as well ? (my laptop
> doesn't have bluetooth, and the 7700 also has USB).

Well, I always use bluetooth usb dongle :-). I belive it works with the
cable but I didn't test it. And I'm a bit afraid you'd have to modify
Linux kernel sources (usb subsystem) to let the cable work.

> Also, do you have any idea about the actual OS those phones run (i.e.
> 7650 / 7700) ? If Symbian, are there known hooks that we can use ?

I'm almost sure it is Symbian.

> If all else fails, what kind of work would be involved in hacking
> support for a new devices like that myself ? (I have some familiarity

There are two ways to do it. Easier one (with the cable) sniff the working
application communication. Other one is try and test approach: you prepare
the frames by hand and see what the phone responses. It may corrupt the
phone if you are not careful.