Re: gnokii, Linux and irda

From: Simon Huggins
Subject: Re: gnokii, Linux and irda
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 09:33:32 +0000

Salut Discussion!

On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 11:33:17PM +0100, Pawel Kot wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Feb 2004, Simon Huggins wrote:
> > On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 11:18:27PM +0100, Pawel Kot wrote:
> > > Testing command was 'gnokii --getphonebook ME 1 end'.
> > [..]
> > > ----------------------------------------+---------------+---------------+
> > > Model and connection                    | Avg time      | Max time      |
> > > Nokia 6210      ------------------------+---------------+---------------|
> > > model = AT/connection = irda            | 3min20s       | 3min47s       |
> > > model = 6210/conection = irda           | 3min17s       | 3min24s       |
> > > model = AT/connection = serial          | 39s           | 39s           |
> > > model = 6210/connection = serial        | 19s           | 19s           |
> > > ----------------------------------------+---------------+---------------+
> >
> > I get 34s for a 6210 over IrDA with a IrDA attached to the IrDA header
> > on my motherboard.
> Is it Linux?

Yup, 2.4.23.  (yes, yes, I know I should upgrade for security reasons).

> > Though actually printing all the "Empty memory location" stuff does make
> > it /seem/ slower by the time it returns.
> Redirecting do /dev/null saves printing time.

Yup, that's what I did in the end.

> > > Can anyone confirm that any other software performs much better
> > > over infrared? Last Friday my friend was doing SonyEricsson t65i
> > > backup over irda under XP and it was the hell slow either.
> > This is with gnokii 4.3 and 169 entries doing
> > /usr/bin/time gnokii --getphonebook ME 1 end.
> What about newer gnokii version? Again, redirecting to /dev/null would
> show better result.

I can try one but I'm not at home at the moment and I've brought my
phone with me unsurprisingly :)

I'll try a more recent version.

Simon.

--
[ "Therapy is expensive. Popping bubble wrap is cheap. You choose."    ]
        Black Cat Networks.  http://www.blackcatnetworks.co.uk/