RE: DKU-5 USB or Serial

From: Steven Feil
Subject: RE: DKU-5 USB or Serial
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 00:06:23 -0600 (CST)

In regards to the Samsung data cable it appears that from the phones
point of view the Serial and USB cables are equivalent. Of course the
computer must deal with the USB driver. When opening up the data cable
for the Samsung phones, I found that it contained a Silicon
Laboratories USB to UART bridge chip. This chip, the cp2101 produces a
signal that looks like it came from an old-fashion serial port. I do
not have any DKU-5 cables so I do not know if the same is true for
them.

If a USB data cable is confirmed contain a UART bridge chip in it then
there may be the possibility of converting it to a serial cable.  This
would require some soldering and a bit of know how.  I won't go into
details because I would not some blaming me for making them blow-up
there computer.