RE: nokia 6100

From: Jie Gao
Subject: RE: nokia 6100
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2004 11:16:30 +1100 (EST)

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004, Jie Gao wrote:

> > gnokii: 0.6.3
> > -------------
> >
> > I am trying to get a Nokia 6100 (firmware v05.80) work with a serial cable
> > to the rs232 port on my Debian box.
> >
> > model = 6100
> > initlength = default
> > connection = serial
> > use_locking = yes

For the benefit of others who might be in a similar situation, I've finally
got it work and my notes are as follows:

- 6100 does not have a Symbian OS, although lots of symbian-related sites
  have info about it.
- Do not use the Debian wrapper /usr/bin/gnokii, use the binary
  "/usr/lib/gnokii/gnokii" directly.
- Check if getty has been put on /dev/ttyS0 by checking:

  lsof /dev/ttyS0

  If yes, comment out the relevant line in /etc/inittab and reboot.

The cable used to connect 6100 to the RS-232 port (Product code #18546;
purchased from www.circuitcentral.com.au.

My os is Bebian Woody.

Jie