Re: smsd deletes inbound SMS messages when database connection down

From: Jan Derfinak
Subject: Re: smsd deletes inbound SMS messages when database connection down
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 11:56:16 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008, Alastair Watts wrote:

Hello.

> On Thu, 2008-07-31 at 09:13 +0200, Pawel Kot wrote:
>
> > Now looking into the code changes I can confirm that the fix was
> > present in 0.6.18 version. The fix came along with concatenated sms
> > support for mysql plugin. Consider yourself quite unlucky with the
> > chosen gnokii version ;)

The problem is that MySQL changed its dafault behaviour (once again).
The fix was implemented:

* Mon Jul 16 2007 Jan Derfinak
- Switch reconnect flag (part of the MYSQL structure) to on for MySQL 5.0.13
  and newer. It was by default on in versions of the API older than 5.0.3.

I cannot find which gnokii version this is because I don't see dates in
gnokii Changelog.

> Damn :) I'll upgrade shortly and let you know how that goes.
>
> > > It should be noted that it also appears that smsd can still read the
> > > outbox table and can send sms messages, but appears to be unable to
> > > insert the received messages.
> >
> > That would be strange. It can read SMS but INSERT failes with such
> > error as above?

This is not strange. This is expected! :)

For outbox and inbox I have separate connections to database.
MySQL will shutdown connection for connections without reconnect flag if
there is inactivity for some time period.
Activity on inbox connection is driven by phone. SMSD only update inbox if
there is new sms in phone.
Activity on outbox is driven by SMSD. And SMSD checks outbox periodically in
short interval.

jan