Re: Strange issue with SMSD

From: Dinesh Shah (દિન ેશ શાહ/द िनेश शाह)
Subject: Re: Strange issue with SMSD
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 22:49:34 +0530

Jan and Ari,

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 3:11 PM, Ari A <address@hidden> wrote:
This is not "hard fact", but one more thing to this strange issue with SMSD:

The smsdate given by the SMS center can vary also because of load balancing. I mean that it is possible that Your operator has more than one server in SMS center. So if there are a lots of SMS traffic, the messages can go through different servers. If clock is not synchronized between the servers, there can then be one server that has incorrect time settings. This could cause the 10/11% variance.

Thanks for your clarification.

Best Regards

Ari

> Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 22:03:15 +0100
> From: address@hidden
> To: address@hidden
> Subject: Re: Strange issue with SMSD
>
> The "smsdate" record is composed from information included in
> SMS. These information is filed (I think) by SMS center of your GSM
> provider and you can not verify accurancy of this information.
> In contrary to smsdate, "insertdate" is your local time filed by database
> server (with "now" function) when sms is inserted to database.
> You must decide yourself who trust. :) Whether information from your GSM
> network or information from your ntp synchronized computer. Ask your GSM
> provider if his SMS Center is ntp synchronized.
>

> > Any hints? My system is synchronized with NTP and this is only happens in
> > about 10/11% cases.
>
> The GSM network can deliver sms's in different times. And smsd looks for
> sms's in some intervals so the delay between the time when a sms appears
> in phone and the time when it is inserted to database can vary. Events in
> real world are mostly asynchronous.
>
> jan

With regards,
--