Re: smsd send time

From: Jan Derfinak
Subject: Re: smsd send time
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 23:54:29 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 26 Jul 2012, alonso acuña wrote:

> In my case I would rather have it send quickly and only check for received
> messages once in a while,  but checking for messages on each send is really
> bad.

Why you think smsd works in such way?

After initialization smsd creates 3 threads. The first is main program, the
second is phone monitor and the third is sending thread.
Main program doesn't directly communicate with phone. It manages other
threads and writes sms's from internal sms array to DB.
Phone monitor reads sms from phone and updates internal sms array for main
program. You can configure timeout between phone checks.
The sending thread monitors database's outbox and sends sms. It is working
continously if there are sms's for sending and sleeps for 5 seconds if there
are no sms's for sending.
The threads work asynchronously. The serialization mechanism is mutex which
enables that only reading or only sending thread has access to phone at the
same time.
So if you think that smsd reads messages to often, increase time between
phone checks.

Jan