Re: [open-cobol-list] Re: feature request: implementation "IS EXTERNAL"

From: Thomas Biehler
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] Re: feature request: implementation "IS EXTERNAL" (semantics)
Date: Wed Dec 10 07:11:03 2003

On Sunday 07 December 2003 08:37, you wrote:
> At Thu, 4 Dec 2003 18:50:07 +0100,
>
> Thomas Biehler wrote:
> > I have a found a simple solution.
> > A BIG surprise for me!
> > It is NOT far away from the current trial!
> >
> > To say it short:  (the components of the solution which improve your
> > trial) 1. the ANSI C 89  "tentative definition"  for the "EXTERNAL
> > GROUP-FIELD" (the key "feature";  have a look on my comments in the
> > c-sources!) 2. no initialization of the data members of the "EXTERNAL
> > GROUP-FIELD" (at least  NO initializiation in a "subprogram")
> >   3. a (unsigned char *) cast to make the C-Compiler quiet ;-)
>
> Wow, I didn't know that.  That's certainly easy, and I have implemented
> it in CVS.  Could try it?
>
> Keisuke

Great, it works like expected.

A big milestone for my port!
I have successfully tested parts of our application now!

I can now make (many) runtime-tests with
the cobc ported application.

Thanks a lot.

Thomas

P.S  I have not tested "FD filename IS EXTERNAL"!
       (reason: we have not maked any usage of it;
                   i have to do some other important tasks first!)

       The implemented syntax/semantic  "01 GroupField IS EXTERNAL ... "
       is now , IMHO,  ANSI-1985 conform!

       Here a some related topics for the TODO list:
         ==> ANSI 1985  "FD filename IS EXTERNAL"
         ==> ANSI 2002   ... IS EXTERNAL AS "LITERAL"