RE: [open-cobol-list] Dollar usage in column 7

From: William M. Klein
Subject: RE: [open-cobol-list] Dollar usage in column 7
Date: Thu May 6 13:43:03 2004

The "$" statements in Micro Focus are similar (not quite identical) to the
"conditional compilation" facility introduced in the 2002 Standard. *IF* you
implement one, you should be able to implement the other as "synonymous".
The

   $DISPLAY

is one exception.  The ISO 2002 Standard does *not* include any standard way
of doing a compile-time "display".  Personally, I think this is a failing of
the Standard (and I tried to get it added - but failed).