RE: [open-cobol-list] variable record size sequential files

From: William M. Klein
Subject: RE: [open-cobol-list] variable record size sequential files
Date: Tue May 25 20:37:20 2004

The "RDW" (record descriptor word - aka "llzz" field) from IBM mainframes is
described (among other places) at:

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/dgt2d410/3.1.3.1.
2

Micro Focus (for example) has an "RDW" compiler directive to "use" this
(virtually - as they do NOT store their variable length records this way).

With the '85 Standard the "correct" way to get (or set) length information
is by using the

   RECORD VAYING IN SIZE
clause of the FD - rather than the
   RECORD CONTAINS
clause.

It should be noted that "relying" on this information isn't even possible on
IBM - since they allowed QSAM "buffers" above the 16M line.  On the other
hand, older (pre '85 Standard) programs did "negative subscript" to get at
the field.