[open-cobol-list] Reading cobol files from C

From: Gerry Weaver
Subject: [open-cobol-list] Reading cobol files from C
Date: Sat Jun 12 23:49:04 2004

Hello All,

I need some help from you cobol gurus out there. I need to access some MF cobol files from C. These files are report files. They are in sets of three. The first file contains a report category, the second contains report names and offsets, and the third contains the actual reports. There also appear to be some formatting bytes in the report file. Is this some type of standard cobol report format? If not, the thing I'm having trouble with are the four byte long values, which I believe represent file offsets. How does cobol store a long?

For example:

I have a case where two values to compute a report count. The hex values are below.

00 00 08 8f
00 00 09 3f

The cobol code subtracts the first value from the second, adds 1, and returns a value of 6 as the result.