Re: [open-cobol-list] CVS updated (3)

From: Bernard Giroud
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] CVS updated (3)
Date: Mon Nov 1 06:04:17 2004

That seems fine, except maybe one point: the reordering of fields
in the cob_file struct in fileio.h.

It means that ALL programs MUST be recompiled and (relinked
if static) against the newer libcob.

I wonder if we could not add a version identification in such
structures and let the runtime check the availability of new
features before using them.

Drawbacks:
1) Incompatible the first time
2) More time spent at execution.

Or at least keep a note for the next release pointing to that
incompatible change.

Your opinion ?

Bernard Giroud
Credit Lyonnais (Suisse) SA