Re: [open-cobol-list] Re: VBISAM Win32 port

From: David Essex
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] Re: VBISAM Win32 port
Date: Tue May 10 10:11:40 2005

Roger While wrote:

> Not as far as I know.

Unfortunate.

> With my libtoolized version, it should not be a big problem (?).

In my experience, 'libtool' is relatively useless on native Win32 (MinGW).

> May need some 'include' massaging and a few ifdef's.

A few months ago, I tried to compile VBISAM (1.03) on Win32 using MinGW.

It failed to compile due to a missing 'uid_t' file structure, among
other problems.

I do think that a native Win32 port is _NOT_ simple matter, as some
times there is no equivalent functionality on Win32.

And without a detailed understanding of the inner workings of VBISAM,
there is no way to determine potential pitfalls.

I have tried to get 'Trevor van Bremen' view on this issue, but did not
get a reply.

> Actually I tried to get Ming running (for OC) on a W2k
> box without success. Something was very borked.
> Did not have the time to chase it down.

Until recently, Keiichi Takahashi at bitwalk, maintained the MinGW port
of OC.

Perhaps he can shed some light on the problems.