[open-cobol-list] Re: Positioning accept and display (OpenCobol)

From: Roger While
Subject: [open-cobol-list] Re: Positioning accept and display (OpenCobol)
Date: Sun Aug 7 12:52:21 2005

Hi John,
Private reply not enough ?

tried ACCEPT and DISPLAY statements with line and column
indicators but they were ignored. Three possiblities:
1. My statements were incorrect.
2. My installation was defective.
3. OpenCOBOL doesn't handle this feature.
If number three, is there a schedule for implementing it?

Number 3.
It's on my TODO list.
I am aiming at getting 0.33 out of the door within the next couple
of weeks and then I will be taking a look at this.
Note that this is not part of earlier standards (74 & 85). AFAIK it was
an MF invention. However, the syntax is specified in the 2002 standard.

I have been following your posts over at TinyCobol.
A point regarding your self-contained binaries.
If the aim is to do a binary port onto another machine, then
you may be violating licensing rules.
Although the TC library (and OC's) are LGPL (as are the normal
C, math, etc libs),  Berkeley DB >=3 and "readline" are NOT.

Also you are going to have to be very careful when preparing this.
For example - you are going to need to know how your gcc/glibc/libc
has been generated. If your distro has gcc generated for >= i686 then
it won't run on any other box that has Intel/AMD < i686.
(And, of course, it will not run on Itanium or 64-bit Intel/AMD variants).

Generally speaking, you should/must do a source port to the target machine.

Cheers

Roger