Re: [open-cobol-list] use environment-variable for filename

From: Franklin Ankum
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] use environment-variable for filename
Date: Mon Aug 15 07:08:25 2005

Hello Leon,

Allthough I browsed thru previous postings I could not find any reference to my (very) simple question: how do I access (unix)-files in a Cobol-programm ?

I'm currently working on a mainframe-to-Linux conversion which also includes about 20 cobol-programms. For this I installed Opencobol on Linux and Z/Linux.

When I run a mainframe-program that only opens a file I get error: libcob: Permanent file error (STATUS=30)

Is it possible to use an environment-variable for filename insteed of a fixed filename ?

compile your program with cobc -std=ibm yoursource.cbl
now "export WF001=/tmp/f001" and run your program again

Regards Franklin