Re: [open-cobol-list] OT: gcc-cobol

From: David Essex
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] OT: gcc-cobol
Date: Thu Nov 3 05:20:01 2005

Giroud, Bernard wrote:

> David Essex wrote:
>
>> Is any one working on gcc-cobol, or has the project been abandoned ?
>
> Some monthes ago, I tried to upgrade first to a current (at that time)
> GCC version.
>
> But changes were not minor and I had to give up due to lack of time...

It is unlikely that COBOL will ever be integrated into the GCC main-stream.

So I think 'gcc-cobol' would require a (full-time) maintainer(s).

Releases could then be created, based on stable GCC versions.
This approach has been adopted by other languages, such as Pascal.

However, there is no maintainer, and in the current economic climate it is unlikely there will ever be one.
Not unless some financial funding can be found in one form or another.

My 2 cents worth.