[open-cobol-list] Re: Oc development.

From: Roger While
Subject: [open-cobol-list] Re: Oc development.
Date: Sat Jan 21 08:08:00 2006

As below.

I think that oc is near to act as a stable production compiler.
All messages I recently received from list, however, are relative to:
numbers > 18 digits. (do they exist?);

Yes they do.

paths whith spaces inside (parhaps 11th commandment?);

Not for anyone running this under Cygwin/MIngW

rarely used IMB cobol parameters;

Not in the least, This is default for their compilers.
(eg. sticky-linkage and perform-osvs)
And if we claim to support (loosely) this, then
it is very relevant.

and so on.
On the contrary, same essentials features: alternate keys, split-keys and
keyboard function-keys have not been implemented yet.
I belive that cobol still exists because IT HANDLES DATA like no other
language does.
That is why I belive that keys handling is THE PRIORITY. User interfaces
comes soon after.

Not ANSI 85 standard. I understand you want this as you are
probably coming from MF.

So, again, the question is: what can we do to help and speed-up.
Regards,

Grab a CVS and/or snapshot tarball (see list), make sure that you
have the required environment (see README) and hack :-)

As the only active developer of this project, I must remind
everyone that I also have a full-time job.
If anyone has suitable fixes/enhancements/suggestions, please post.

Roger