Re: [open-cobol-list] Should These Examples Compile?

From: Sergey Kashyrin
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] Should These Examples Compile?
Date: Tue Feb 21 13:48:00 2006

Bob,

Regarding the first sample, we already have a fix for that.
It's in version 0.33 (and probably CVS)
The only thing you should do is to put
relax-level-hierarchy: yes
in your ibm.conf or mvs.conf, etc and use this as a dialect, i.e.
cob -x -std=ibm test.cbl

Regarding second example, it's incorrect and Microfocus also pointing that out:
G:\skatests\cobol>cobol ztest9.cbl;
MERANT Micro Focus Net Express V3
Version 3.1.11 Copyright (C) 1984-2000 MERANT International Ltd.
URN AXCGG/AA0/00000
    9      05 D PIC X.
* 225-S*******                                                               **
**    Level hierarchy wrong
* Checking complete - errors found

It also does not compile on Mainframe:
SKASHYR 7> cob2 test9.cbl
PP 5655-G53 IBM Enterprise COBOL for z/OS  3.3.1 in progress ...
LineID  Message code  Message text
     8  IGYDS1052-E   Group item "C" contained the "PICTURE" clause.  The
                      clause was discarded.
    13  IGYPS0009-E   "STOP" should not begin in area "A".  It was processed as
                      if found in area "B".
Messages    Total    Informational    Warning    Error    Severe    Terminating
Printed:       2                                    2
End of compilation 1,  program PROG,  highest severity 8.
Return code 8

Regards,
Sergey

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Sherry" <address@hidden>