[open-cobol-list] open cobol in the professional environment

From: Hans-Martin Rasch
Subject: [open-cobol-list] open cobol in the professional environment
Date: Fri Mar 3 10:06:02 2006

Hi,

during the last year we migrated our application from a BS2000 mainframe to
FreeBSD/i386 machines. The application contains online transaction processing
and batch jobs as well, a large part (about 2 million lines of code) is
written in COBOL 85. We don't access the data with the COBOL runtime, but
with C modules called from the COBOL pograms.

On the new system we have chosen OpenCobol as COBOL compiler, which since
turned out to be stable and reliable. So I would like to thank all people who
contributed to OC, especially Keisuke Nishida and Roger While!

Of course we had some problems with non standard constructions in our sources
and with programs relying on the runtime behaviour where the standard says
"behaviour undefined". We decided that it would be better to fix our sources
than to change (or let change) OC, and there remained only few cases where we
modified OC (I will report about these in subsequent mails).
And of course we are missing something too, and that is debugging on COBOL
level. Has anybody started to work at the debugging support mentioned in the
TODO?

Hans-Martin Rasch