[open-cobol-list] Justified right.

From: John Culleton
Subject: [open-cobol-list] Justified right.
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 18:36:48 -0500

I will be bringing in fields from another program that may be in the
forms
1.23
12.34
123.45
etc.
I propose to move these fields to a non-numeric and space-filled field defined
as "JUSTIFIED RIGHT." Then I plan to redefine the field as 99999.99 or
thereabouts.  Will this work? The intent is to take ASCII strings containing
dollar values of any arbitrary length and convert them into numeric data for
mathematical manipulation.

The strings will come in from a record that may contain  comma-delimited
fields. UNSTRING will retrieve the data but the justification will be
inherently left and not right.
--
John Culleton