[open-cobol-list] Trouble to build open-cobol-1.1 on koji

From: Roger While
Subject: [open-cobol-list] Trouble to build open-cobol-1.1 on koji
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 20:24:39 +0200

What is a koji?
Is it a remote island? :-)
OC doesn't build well on remote islands :-)

There is NO problem to build OC on Fedora or any other Linux.
The problem is something to do with the rpmbuild system and the spec file.

So, how the hell are we supposed to know what is going
on when the output (stdout and stderr) from gcc is redirected
to /dev/null??

Even assuming we can get past this, the whole thing is more than likely
NOT going to work because of this junk that is added by the rpm
utils to the configure compiler flags -
- -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -fstack-protector
- --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -m32 -march=i386 -mtune=generic
- -fasynchronous-unwind-tables

In fact, the above looks very suspicious with -march=386. I thought the minimum
was 586 these days. If indeed all packages are being build with 386, then I will keep
away from Redhat/Fedora releases :-)
Remember, that, not only are these options used for building OC itself (which is OK), they are taken over by the OC Cobol compiler and used when compiling the generated C code.

This whole stuff has to be ripped out for the options used by the OC compiler when calling
the C compiler.
Patches welcome :-)

Roger