[open-cobol-list] I'd like to contribute to OC

From: Ulf Dambacher
Subject: [open-cobol-list] I'd like to contribute to OC
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2009 09:16:54 +0100

Hi

My name is Ulf Dambacher, I work in a small firm selling tools. We have 315.000+ lines of cobol code running and I want to port it from ACUcobol to Open Cobol.
I found version 1.1 is fit for this, with two little drawbacks:
a really open source solution for indexed files
and client-server file sharing.

This is where I started: I wrote an external file handler for indexed files to map them to a postgresql table. The first version works by storing keys and data in in separate columns of the table (data in a binary blob). I'm thinking of implementing on the fly record<->table-column conversion, which would enable OC to share database with other non key sequential programs (e.g. a web frontend) written in other languages.

Now I'd like to ask if I can contribute such a thing and may be do a little polishing work on libcob/fileio.c?

Who else uses external file handlers and what do you think?

bye
Ulf