Re: [open-cobol-list] line sequential and string.

From: Brian Tiffin
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] line sequential and string.
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 01:39:14 -0500

ORGANIZATION IS LINE SEQUENTIAL records do NOT retain the newline and
carriage-return is stripped.  (But I didn't look too closely into extfh
external SEQ/RAN handlers.  But that only kicks in if that is configured).

In the FD (not the FILE-CONTROL SELECT) include the VARYING DEPENDING ON
clause.

FD somelineseq
   RECORD SIZE IS VARYING
     DEPENDING ON reclenfield ...

After each read, the record buffer is SPACE filled and the length actually
read (ignoring truncation, actual file record length, skipping any
carriage-return and terminated by line-feed) will be in   reclenfield.

And then you can play reference modification tricks like

MOVE "}" TO destbuff(reclenfield + 1 : 1)

with your own tests for destbuff sizing, or cobc -debug to trap out any refmod
out of bounds.

Cheers,
Brian