Re: [open-cobol-list] MySql and COBOL

From: Gerald Chudyk
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] MySql and COBOL
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 10:51:29 -0700

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 8:07 AM, John Culleton<address@hidden> wrote:
> A person on another list inquires about using Cobol (or the
> commercial product Kobol) with MySql. I suggested what I would do:
> print out a report from MySql, import it as a LINE SEQUENTIAL file,
> and put the records in an IS file with appropriate key fields.
>
> If there is a better way I am all ears.
> --

I haven't tried this on mysql, but on postgresql it is a relatively
simple matter to use the C api that they provide. I assume the mysql C
api would give similar results. The OpenCobol call routines are well
suited for this, although it does take a little effort to translate
the C api into equivalent COBOL statements.

btw. The postgresql api is very well written. So if you are having
trouble with mysql then try the postgresql api first to get a feel for
the call requirements.

Good luck,

Gerald.