Re: [open-cobol-list] Playing with OC and AJAX

From: Jeffrey Chimene
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] Playing with OC and AJAX
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2012 07:16:55 -0600

On 1/3/2012 11:57 AM, Michael Anderson wrote:
On Tue, 2012-01-03 at 06:30 -0700, Jeffrey Chimene wrote:
I'm not familiar with FastCGI, but if it's CGI, it can't maintain
state
I'm not familiar with Websocket! I will look into it, hopefully it is
closer to the standard for the web, THANKS!

However, your statement above is not correct, the reason it is called
FastCGI, is because it maintains a socket to a single process, and
therefore does not need to be re-created for each CGI request.

Right, but that's on the server side. State must also be maintained on the client side, i.e. the browser has to know the status of the current comm. for this session with the server. FastCGI is "kind of like" MOD_PERL in the sense that the server-side process doesn't evaporate after the reply. That doesn't mean FastCGI keeps track of each session's comm. (I/O) state.

Anyway, I'm glad that websocket works for you.

Cheers,
jec
It does
require that you write your process to NOT "STOP RUN". It's been around
since the mid 90's, and also requires building (configure/make/install),
and some additional httpd configuration, installation of mod_fcgi.so,
and so on....... much work to do! Maybe wedsocket is simpler, and common
in todays www. Thank you so much for the info.

--
Mike.