Re: [open-cobol-list] opening files without hardcoding full paths ?

From: Vincent Coen
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] opening files without hardcoding full paths ?
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2013 17:22:30 +0100

HI

On Monday 05 Aug 2013 10:30:55 Patrick wrote:

> I was having so much trouble with Linux this past year or so but I have

> now switched to Centos and I am really happy again. I can have good'ol

> gnome 2 and lots of old stable packages until 2020 !

> On my 60 GB drive Centos only leaves 5GB in the partition that has

> /home. I made a new folder in the root partition, /pat, and I am

> working out of this instead of changing the Centos defaults.

> I have to now change all of the code that had /home/patrick coded in.

> I am now learning to use the -I flag to look for copybooks but this does

> not appear to work for files to open, they appear to need a full path. I

> have noticed this in all the code I can remember reading, do we just

> have to code in the full path on the files we want to open?

You should set up these exports in your .bashrc:

----------------------------------

# .bashrc

# 12/11/11 vbc - updated with additional COB vars

# User specific aliases and functions

# Source global definitions

if [ -f /etc/bashrc ]; then

. /etc/bashrc

fi

export COB_SCREEN_ESC=YES

export COB_SCREEN_EXCEPTIONS=YES

export COB_LIBRARY_PATH=~/bin

export ACAS_IRS=~/IRS

export ACAS_LEDGERS=~/ACAS

export ACAS_BIN=~/bin

export COB_SET_TRACE=Y

export COBCPY=~/cobolsrc/ACAS/copybooks

export COB_COPY_DIR=~/cobolsrc/ACAS/copybooks

export TMPDIR=~/tmp

----------------------------------

These for running Cobol programs :

export COB_SCREEN_ESC=YES

export COB_SCREEN_EXCEPTIONS=YES

# unset BACKSPACE

export COB_LIBRARY_PATH=~/bin

This one when debugging:

export COB_SET_TRACE=Y

These when compiling:

export COBCPY=~/cobolsrc/ACAS/copybooks

export COB_COPY_DIR=~/cobolsrc/ACAS/copybooks

These should avoid the need for '-I' but that depends on what version of OC you are using.

And if you have not got around to changing code to reflect your change to /pat instead of /home/patrick why not do 'ln -s /pat /home/patrick' ?

Vince