Re: [open-cobol-list] Sorting method, word by word or letter by letter.

From: Joe Robbins
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] Sorting method, word by word or letter by letter.
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2014 10:04:45 +0000

Hello John

Not sure I fully understand your question but here's some info that may be
helpful:

1.    Using the COBOL SORT verb to order data:  SORT sort-file ON KEY k0, k1
... kn
       ... when determining whether one record is less than, equal to or
greater than another record, SORT compares each value of k from the two records
in the order given.
       1.1 if k is a COBOL NUMERIC then function cob_numeric_cmp() is used to
compare the two values. This is the generic comparator for GNU COBOL numeric
fields. So the result is the same as comparing two numeric fields in code.
       1.2 otherwise: the two values are compared byte-by-byte (from left to
right as they would appear in a string) using the COLLATING-SET declared for
the COBOL module.

2.    Using ORGANIZATION INDEXED
        Strictly speaking, the key ordering  depends on the underlying
implementation you configure for ISAM: BDB, VBISAM, SQL, etc. In practice, I
would be surprised if key-values were not compared byte-by-byte (from left to
right as they would appear in a string).
         For example: VBISAM uses the LINUX function memcmp() to compare two
key values. This is documented as: "The memcmp() function compares the first n
bytes (each interpreted as unsigned char) of the memory areas s1 and s2."

Would you like to elaborate and/or give an example of "sorted letter-by-letter
and not word-by-word"?

Joe Robbins
address@hidden