[open-cobol-list] unicode in 1.1, issues confined to screen section ?

From: Patrick
Subject: [open-cobol-list] unicode in 1.1, issues confined to screen section ?
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2014 15:00:44 -0400

Hi Everyone

I am mostly focused on C on baremetal these days but I love Cobol and tinker whenever I can.

I think it's been said that OC 1.1 does not have unicode support. Can I confirm that, this only extends to the screen section and that if enough bytes are allocated to represent a unicode character, it will work correctly within the program otherwise?

I have attached a small program below. The unicode character displays fine. I tinkered around and found 3 bytes worked right for it. 4 or more bytes left trailing spaces.

-Patrick

IDENTIFICATION DIVISION .
PROGRAM-ID . unicode .

DATA DIVISION .
WORKING-STORAGE SECTION .
01 square PIC X(3) VALUE '◻' .

PROCEDURE DIVISION .

IF square = '◻'
DISPLAY 'should be ◻◻ ' square square END-DISPLAY
ELSE
DISPLAY 'fail' END-DISPLAY
END-IF

EXIT PROGRAM .