[open-cobol-list] Compile error in screenio.c: conflicting declarations

From: Scott McKellar
Subject: [open-cobol-list] Compile error in screenio.c: conflicting declarations (with fix)
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 07:27:48 -0700

Yesterday I tried to compile from gnu-cobol-1-1.tar.gz, freshly downloaded from
SourceForge.  The make step failed when it tried to compile screenio.c.  After
a little digging the problem became obvious.

screenio has two different definitions for cob_field_display() and
cob_field_accept(), selected via conditional compilation (based, I think, on
whether some appropriate version of curses is available).  The first pair of
function definitions look normal.  They do stuff.  The second pair of function
definitions, on the other hand, have empty bodies.  They are no-ops, presumably
because if curses is not available, there's no way for them to do anything
(except by re-implementing curses, which would be silly).

The problem is that the second pair of function definitions don't have the
right signatures.

The first pair of definitions each have seven parameters.  The second pair,
with the empty bodies, each have only six parameters.  The C compiler quite
rightly complains that the function definitions don't match the prototypes in
the associated header file.

Since these versions of the functions don't do anything anyway, I just added
the missing parameters to the parameter lists, and then the build succeeded.

For what it's worth, I'm building on Kubuntu 10.4. using gcc, and the configure
option --without-db.  I probably don't have the curses development package
installed because I've never had occasion to use it.  That would explain why
I'm getting the no-op versions of these functions.

In any case it doesn't really matter what my development environment is.  Just
look at the code in screenio.c and you can see that it's wrong.

This problem was reported in this list by Dave Stratford on 2009-12-05, but no
resolution was offered.  It was reported again by Haroldo Sotomayor Penroz on
2010-04-14, but again there was no resolution (in fairness, the relevant error
messages were buried in a very long post).

More recently, jean-max reymond opened bug #42 on 2012-10-23, citing the same
errors that I got, but it was closed without a fix.

Scott McKellar