[open-cobol-list] About Standards

From: Bill Klein
Subject: [open-cobol-list] About Standards
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2014 18:12:19 -0700

        I thought I would start a new thread about "Standards". This relates
to several notes that I have read recently here.

I don't know if the FIPS Tests have been manually checked - as they need to
be. Also, I am not positive when/if the ALL subscript for Intrinsic
Functions was added. Other than that, I am pretty certain that OpenCOBOL 1.1
supported the full '85 Standard.

There is also support for "bits and pieces" from the '02 and '14 Standards.
I am not certain if a detailed list exists for which features from these
Standards are included in which version of OpenCOBOL/NewCOBOL.

As far as the '14 Standard goes, it passed its ISO ballot earlier this year
and is now an official ISO Standard and can be purchased. However, I am not
positive what the status is for this being an ANSI Standard. The ballot to
adopt it began this past Summer, but I haven't heard the results announced.
The reason that I mention this, is that for the '02 Standard, the ANSI
version was much cheaper than the ISO version - but had identical text.

I will announce to this list when I hear you can buy/download the ANSI
version.