Re: [open-cobol-list] How does a typical GnuCOBOL application work?

From: Xavi Torres
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] How does a typical GnuCOBOL application work?
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 12:45:28 +0100

Hi Mr Kathe,
I'm also interested on it.
Usually a standard access to a shell (by ssh or telnet) where its user executes the cobol program after the log in process. Another option would make the cobol program run as a daemon and listen to a TCP port as if it was IRC. By this way, I suppose that all the terminal control and user authentication/identification system should be built within the program itself. That's why the shell method should be better.

I'd like to know if there is any way to daemonize a cobol program having, at least, the terminal control issue solved.

Xavi

Hello,

Suppose I want to build a financial accounting system using GnuCOBOL.
Such a system would typically work under some type of Unix-like OS.
How is such a system designed?

Under a normal Web based scenario, there would be the server side application running on suppose the LAMP stack with clients connecting via Web browsers (usually).

In the hypothetical financial system mentioned above, can a Unix-like OS based server have users connecting to it over SSH and somehow start up connections to an already running GnuCOBOL instance?

Pardon my ignorance, but I have no exposure to mainframe architecture systems.

Thanks,

~Mayuresh